Certainly, for many of us woodworking is more than a hobby, it is hard work with iron dedication to transform wood into incredible objects. It is definitely an art that we are passionate about and we want to share it with you.
What is woodworking ?
Taking a trip back in time and reaching the ancient era, we can see how each civilization uses wood to create objects and structures that are really useful for daily use.
We can find great examples of woodworking in Egyptian, Greek, Roman and Chinese culture. Many other ancient cultures throughout the world practiced woodworking, each using their own styles and different techniques.
As a natural evolutionary process, man was developing skills to create wooden weapons, which had been very useful to kill animals and obtain food. So we also reach the transport (boats, carts) and housing structures (houses and furniture).
The best tools for an extraordinary job
It says that the tools do not make the master, if not the opposite. From our point of view in TheWoodworking, we can say that choosing the best tools will greatly strengthen the finishing of your projects, but you definitely have to handle them in an exceptional way.
Look at our favorite tools and know the advantages that these give you to get a better profit, we have some reviews that will serve you well.
3 Basic Woodworking Tips that you should be know
In woodworking, there are many skills that you must learn, but there are some that are basic and from which the whole range of projects you can work will be derived.
- Know your tools: This would seem obvious to the naked eye, but it is very important that you know perfectly the tools with which you work, so you can get the most out of it and you can use them in special scenarios when you lack a tool. It will always be important to have our tools adjusted to perform the peeled cut or have a finer finish.
- The behavior of wood: With the passage of time the trees are formed with layers of rings so we must be very careful orientation when planning as it generates a beautiful grain if we are not careful the correct orientation. Humidity is another important point to consider as it eventually contracts or expands the wood. Ignoring this can bring you disastrous results.
- In the details is the beauty: Did you know how to have one of the most versatile finishes? the answer is coconut oil, you should try it to believe it, but with coconut oil you can get a not so bright finish and extremely easy to care for. Excellent also to hide those ugly imperfections.
Techniques that every woodworker needs to dominated
Throughout time, many techniques for woodworking have been developed and perfected, some of which are specific to a certain type of project ,probably you must be take them into consideration if you want to give a high quality finish to your next big project. We show you some.
Here we have for you very useful basic woodworking techniques, either to pre-treat or to keep wood in perfect condition in simple steps.
- So that two woods do not separate when nailing the nails, instead of nailing them straight, it is better to nail them at an angle of 45 degrees. In this way the two pieces of wood will not separate.
- When cutting with the jigsaw, always start it before the blade touches the wood. If it touches the wood and we start the saw, the wood will split. It is important, with the jigsaw, that we always have it well supported, in this way it will not vibrate and will allow us to make a clean cut on the wood.
- Once sanded a wooden surface, remember to clean the surface of dust and debris before painting.
- When varnishing or applying a glaze to the wood, make special emphasis on the edges, it is the most sensitive part of the wood and where there is more possibility of water gets inside of it. Apply well to cover the pores of the wood.
- If we are thinking of how we can make wood last long time, is very important maintenance. Sanding the wood and applying varnish or paint every so often so that it does not deteriorate.
- When applying paint or varnish, always read the manufacturer´s instructions carefully. On the back of the container, the drying and repainting times are usually reflected, as well as how to apply it depending on the surfaces, the performance, etc.
- It is possible that when we are working, we drop some glue on the pieces of wood. To remove it easily, we can rub the affected area with a cotton cloth impregnated in oil.
- When sanding wood surfaces, the easiest option is to choose a coarse grain sandpaper to make the first hands and then go topping with softer sandpaper. It must be sanded in the direction of the wood grain.
- When we work with wooden furniture, the surface of it may be hit, causing visible damage. If this is the case, all we have to do is putting a cotton ball dipped in hot milk and let it rest for a few hours. With this method the wood will swell, returning to its original state.
- Another possible solution to the previous problem is to wet a cotton cloth, place it on the blow, and pass the iron, letting the steam work.
- When installing a self-tapping screw, we can facilitate the work by passing the screw through a bar of soap.
- If we are not sure about the consistency of our wood and we fear that it will crack when we nail or screw it, we can heat the tip of the nail or screw with boiling water.
- If what we fear is that the wood splinters when cutting it, we can put adhesive tape in the area where we will make the cut. This will keep it from separating and the cut will be clean.
- If you want to avoid hurting yourself when nailing, you must place the nail between the prongs of a comb or with the help of a thin cardboard, proceed to nail and thus approach the wood. The distance will be enough to not hit you.
- Keep in mind the type of wood when working with it. There are woods easier to work than others. For example: oak is a very hard kind of wood. A misuse of the tool with which we work can make the finish is not desired.
- To remove a nail without damaging the wood, put a block next to the nail itself and we pry with the hammer or with the pliers.
- To achieve a perfect finish and disguise the nails in our projects with wood, we can carefully remove a small piece of wood or splinter from the point where the nail goes, nail it, and then glue the wood again with glue.
- In case the wood has cracks, you can treat it with putty. Insert the mixture into the slot and then sand until both sides are even. On the contrary, if the crack is large, place a wedge the size of the hole. Use a bit of glue and a little of pressure. Putty can be made at home. You only have to mix sawdust and glue. To make the preparation more resistant, insert wooden sticks into the crack next to the mixture.
- Always make at least two sanding on the wood, either manually or with a machine. Between the two, it is best to moisten the wood a little, something that will help you to sand the second time.